Changes occurring in the body of a future mother, of course, affect her health. A woman faces many new manifestations, among which there is also dizziness. It has long been known that nausea and dizziness are signs of pregnancy. Light malaise and associated dizziness in the early stages of pregnancy are considered quite normal. However, in some cases, this condition can not only significantly worsen the life of a woman, but also be a symptom of a dangerous pathology. Consider what causes dizziness in pregnancy, and how it can be avoided.
Why does dizziness occur during pregnancy?
During dizziness, there is a feeling of rotation of surrounding objects or your own body. Such a feeling can appear in case of violations of the vestibular or visual apparatus, sharp head turns or change of the position of the body.
Already from the first days after conception, the circulatory system in the female body changes significantly. For a more active blood supply to the uterus, the number of blood vessels in th
Another reason for the appearance of such a sign of pregnancy, as dizziness, in the first months after conception is an increase in the woman's blood levels of the hormone progesterone. In addition, progesterone can cause headaches, especially in the morning hours.
In the second trimester of pregnancy, vertigo is associated mainly with an increase in the size of the uterus, which at the same time compresses the venous vessels. As a rule, this condition is observed in the supine position, when the flow of blood to the heart decreases. In this situation, blood supply to the organs of the upper body, including the brain, temporarily worsens.
Factors that cause dizziness in pregnancy include the following conditions:
- Anemia is a decrease in the hemoglobin level in the blood, which in the expectant mother is due to an increase in blood volume. This pathology can lead to the development of oxygen starvation of the mother and child.
- Hypotension - lowering of arterial pressure, which is quite often observed in pregnant women.
- A sharp drop in blood glucose levels due to prolonged breaks between meals, as well as consuming a large number of sweet foods.
- Gestational diabetes, which is a consequence of an overload of the pancreas of a woman during pregnancy. This pathology passes after childbirth on its own.
- Gestosis - a late toxicosis, which often causes dizziness in the second trimester of pregnancy. It is also accompanied by nausea, increased blood pressure, swelling, and visual impairment.
- Diseases of blood vessels and heart.
- Some pathologies of the vestibular apparatus( Minier's disease).
- Stay in a stuffy, hot place.
- Sharp change of body position. Differences in atmospheric pressure.
Treatment and prevention of dizziness in pregnancy
What if suddenly dizziness has started? Experts advise in this case to lie down or at least sit down, head down. This situation will promote the flow of blood to the head, which will ease the attack. If a woman is in a stuffy place, she should go out into the fresh air.
In case of frequent dizziness during pregnancy, it is necessary to establish their cause. If they are signs of anemia, a woman should pay attention to her diet. In severe cases of anemia the doctor selects the appropriate treatment for the future mother.
With a lowered arterial pressure, a woman is prescribed special therapy, which includes stimulants.
Many women manage to avoid dizziness during pregnancy, following simple rules:
- Avoid long standing in one place, sudden movements and sudden change of body position.
- Do not be in stuffy, hot rooms, places of mass congestion.
- In the second half of pregnancy, it is desirable to sleep on the side, preferably on the left, but in no case, not on the back.
- Do not take hot showers or baths. An effective means of preventing dizziness during pregnancy is a contrast shower.
- Eat a little, but often, try to avoid sweet, preferring foods that contain iron, fruits and vegetables.
- Brew tea from mint and lemon balm. You can use one of the herbs or make their mixture. To make this tea, a teaspoonful of herbs( a mixture of herbs) is poured with boiling water( 200 ml), insist 15-20 minutes. Before consumption in the tea, you can add honey or sugar to taste.
- Regularly undergo preventive examinations with doctors.
Dizziness in pregnancy is a fairly frequent condition that can significantly worsen life. However, the forces of the future mother can alleviate this phenomenon by listening to the recommendations of specialists. If dizziness becomes severe, often repeated or accompanied by other unpleasant manifestations, a woman should immediately consult a doctor.